Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Giving Thanks

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." - I Thessalonians 5:16-18

It is quickly approaching the month of February, and here I am, still in the United States. This journey of waiting on my visa has been completely draining, yet has challenged me more than ever to rely on God for the direction of every single footstep I take.  I've drawn closer to Him through time after time of being on my knees and begging for a miracle, for strength, and for patience.  But one very important thing has been lacking on my journey of waiting and that is thanksgiving.  Throughout the Bible God calls us to give Him thanks in all circumstances.  It is so easy for us Christians to give thanks to the Father when He answers our prayers, but it is just as important that we give thanks in everything, regardless of God's answer to our prayers.  So I want to use this time to give thanks in the circumstance that has been so hard for me...waiting on my visa.  I am thanking God for all the opportunities I wouldn't have had if I had left for Brazil on September 1st as originally planned.  

I am thankful for the opportunity I had to:

1. Spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family
2. Grow closer to my church family
3. Give Spanish lessons to my Pastor's kids
4. Build a relationship with a cousin of mine that I didn't know well before.
5. Spend more time in the classroom as a substitute teacher
6. Go to Urbana missions conference 
7. Spend New Year's with my Polish friends, Aunt Tina, and 15,000 other Christians worshipping the Lord
8. Live with my sister, brother in law, and 3 nephews and grow closer to them.  I love them so much!
9. Throw a 50th anniversary party for my wonderful grandparents
10. Come to Colorado for 2 weeks and spend time with Aunt Tina, while also volunteering at Flatirons Community Church  
11. Spend more time with all my friends and family 
12. Teach Sunday school a few times at church
13. Ir a la boda de una de mis profesores favoritos en CU- Felicidades a Senora Wiesenberger!
14. Celebrate Pam's birthday with her aunts and our friends. Yay for bowling!
15. Learn to lean solely on the Lord to sustain me in all things

I thank the Lord for all these things and I pray that He continue to be glorified in my life wherever I am, whether it be in the United States, Brazil, or some other part of the World.  

In God's perfect timing my visa application to Brazil will be approved.  I can rest assured in this because He always keeps His promises.  Just a few verses down from the ones I wrote above His Word tell us: "He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it."
 -I Thessalonians 5:24.  I am so thankful for His promises!

I can't end this "Giving Thanks" blog without saying thanks to all of you for your prayers and encouragement!  THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!  

1 comment:

  1. I came across some verses that I thought of you when I read them
    Psalm 27.14 Wait for the Lord be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord!
    there is also a verse in Psalm I dont remember where but i have it up in my classroom as we are talking about noah and the ark and It talks about God being faithful to his promises and loving to all He has made and it just reminds me how faithful He is even when we don't hear Him.

    love you girly. I miss you dearly and I know God will put you where he wants you. Even if I want you to come here he has a place for you.

    ReplyDelete